The list is finally here!
The American Kennel Club has released the top most popular dogs in America. To find out who made the top ten, read on. And, just in case your dog wasn’t mentioned, please remember this is about breeds, not individual dogs. Because, as you very well know, if it was about individual dogs, yours would be right up there with the tippy top ones…
But did your dog’s breed make the list? Read on, lovely readers, read on…
10. Shih Tzu – Zenning their way into a respectable placement upon the list. Not up the top so they look conceited, but still hitting the top ten. What? Zenning is a word. Honest.
9. Poodle – Smart and more than able to pull off any of fashion’s crazier looks. This dog looks good on the catwalk…and not many dogs can say that!
8. Dachshund – Oh, the sausage dog. Overcoming his (ahem) shortcomings, and long body, and little legs. But cute, cuddly, and loyal.
7. Boxer – No. This dog did not bully his way into the list. And he doesn’t actually box. But we do not hold that against him. Who wants a dog that wears shiny shorts and likes to spit a lot? The boxer is much smarter than that, thank you very much.
6. Bulldog – Tough, gruff, loyal and loved. The bulldog, not to be confused with the bullfrog (which would be silly because this is a list about dogs, not amphibians), is one cool dog.
5. Golden Retriever – Pretty and loyal and smart. With golden locks. The golden retriever does indeed retrieve things, and they don’t even have to be golden.
4. Beagle – One word for you: Snoopy. It’s a wonder this dog isn’t number one. Or writing books. Or making pithy comments. Snoopy.
3. Yorkshire Terrier – Tough and able and from somewhere in England, this dog likes drinking tea and eating scones with jam and clotted cream. But only when you’re not looking.
2. German Shepherd – Guard dog, police dog, and…well, a career dog. You won’t find a German shepherd reclining on a chaise lounge eating chocolates and drinking champagne while dictating their latest doggy romance novel. Instead, this dog is loyal and hard working, and very, very handsome, to boot.
1. Labrador Retriever – The Golden Child of the dog world, the labrador retriever has kept the crown of Most Popular Pup for the millionth (okay for 20 years, but isn’t that like a million in dog years?). And it’s not hard to tell why. The lab retriever is smart, loyal, good looking, even tempered, gentle, patient, simply the pageant winner. But next year…tune in and find out!
So there you have it. The top ten most popular dog breeds of the year. Finally, you can sleep now you know.